Monday 13 February 2012

Jo Pond: The Oxford Comma



'For me, Oxford has always been the home of the Pitt Rivers Museum… This fantastic collection leaves me brimming with images of Museum exhibits, labelled artefacts and drawers full of wonders to inspire my work… 

However, Oxford also holds the intellect of a prestigious University and it is this that seems to be focusing my thought. I dabble in the potential for wearable items to become vehicles for communication and the use of the written word is often a favoured element within my pieces.

A punctuation mark received much press recently. An anonymous Twitter user announced that a style guide on a University of Oxford website recommended against using the Oxford comma. The public defence in favour of this tiny element of punctuation was utterly charming and quintessentially British… incentive to create!'

No comments:

Post a Comment